Motability FAQs

Find out the answers to frequently asked questions about the Motability Scheme on offer with Barnard & Brough below.

Who is eligible?

People who receive the following allowances are eligible for a car through the Motability Scheme.

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP).

It doesn’t have to be you who drives the car; a carer or parent can get a car through the Scheme to help transport you. They can also use the car to run errands on your behalf so you do not have to be in the car at all times for it to be used.

You cannot get a powered wheelchair or scooter as well as a car under the scheme at the same time. You must pick the one that you need the most.

What are adaptations can I get?

There are three types of adaptations for Motability cars: stowage, driving and access modifications.

Stowage adaptations are designed to help you get a Motability aid into the boot of the car or on top in a roof box. Hoists can be integrated to lift the aid for you and slide it into place.

Driving adaptations make the driving position suitable for you so you can comfortably control the car. These include putting paddles and levers that act as the pedals by the steering wheel so they are within reach. The pedals can also be moved so they are easier for you to use. To help with steering, fixtures can be added that make it possible to steer using just one hand. Remote control devices can be incorporated to let you control the indicators, windscreen wipers and headlights with one hand.

To help you get in and out of the car, there are access adaptions such as transfer plates, electric hoists and swivel seats. These modifications prevent you having to stand and then duck to get into the car and make it possible to go straight from a wheelchair into the driver’s seat.

Can I get a car that costs more than my allowance?

If you would like a car that costs more than that of your Motability allowance, you can pay the extra cost through a non-returnable Advance Payment.

Am I covered by insurance?

All cars that are leased through the Motability Scheme come with insurance provided by RSA Motability (RSAM).

How long do I have the car for?

Most people lease their car for three years through the Scheme. There are usually options to extend the lease if you are under the mileage limit at the end of the contract.

Are there any offers?

We regularly have offers on Motability cars, including lower deposits and APR. Browse our collection of Motability cars to search for the latest deals.

What do I do now?

If you are eligible for the Motability Scheme and would like to get started with a new Nissan, contact the Barnard & Brough team today. They will help you find a car that suits you, organise the adaptions and set up the plan so you can get on the road as soon as possible.

Contact us

If you have any further questions about the Motability services we offer and the Scheme in general, please don’t hesitate to contact the team. Either call us directly or enquire online today.